What you do not know about emeralds
Boyacá concentrates the largest number of emerald mines in the world. Learn why and discover 10 other amazing facts.
Curiosities about the emerald The emerald is the famous stone of Colombia. Photo: Courtesy of the International Museum of the Emerald
1.In 2011 a tiara of Colombian diamonds and emeralds, which belonged to the princess Katharina Henckel von Donnersmarck, was auctioned for 12.7 million dollars, becoming the most expensive jewel in the world.
2.'La Lechuga ', one of the most important jewels in Latin America, has 1,485 emeralds.
3. The emerald 'Gachalá' (858 carats), found 50 years ago in Boyacá, is one of the most valuable in the world. Today it is part of the collection of the Smithsonian Institute of Washington.
4. The emerald has beryl, a colorless mineral in its pure state. A small amount of chromium is what gives it its green color.
5. The emerald, the diamond, the ruby and the sapphire make up the four precious stones of the earth's crust.
6. Finding an emerald is 20 times more difficult than finding a diamond.
7. The emerald owes its rarity to its crystalline property.
8. Colombia is the largest producer of emeralds in the world. Boyacá concentrates the largest number of emerald mines on the planet.
9. Colombian emeralds are more resistant, brighter and more pure and deep tones.
10. Bluish emeralds are only found in Colombia.
11. For the alchemists, the emerald is the stone of Venus. It is said that it came as a gift to the planet Earth.